About Us Board of Education Curriculum Standards Community Relations Contact Us District Newsletter Emergency Preparedness Instructional Calendar LCAP/LCFF Organizational Charts Personalized Learning Report a Concern School Safety Staff Resources SRVTIP (BTSA) Superintendent
Parent & Student Resources Family Handbook Athletics Bell Schedules Enrollment College & Career Readiness GATE Homework Policy Inclusive Sign Project Lunch Program Campus Portal Volunteer Requirements Technology Section 504 SRV Council of PTAs Suicide Prevention Start Smart Program Student Recognition Project Title IX Health Services Summer School
School Site Locator Preschool TK & Kindergarten Elementary Schools Middle Schools High Schools Alternative Education Back-to-School-Night Dates Feeder School Patterns Graduation Dates Open House Dates
Enroll Your Child Annual Update Transfers Within SRVUSD Transfers for Non-SRVUSD Residents
Assessment, Research and Evaluation Business Services Child Nutrition Communications & Community Relations Custodial Duplicating Facilities Educational Services Human Resources Maintenance and Operations Purchasing Special Education Student Services Superintendent's Office Technology Transportation Warehouse
Now Hiring Human Resources HR Forms Benefits Certificated Classified Job Descriptions/Salary Schedules Substitute Web Based System

Personalized Learning FAQs

Please check back often as we will continue to add FAQ's to this list.


What are the new graduation requirements and when do they go into effect?

  • Starting with the class class of 2019, students will be required to have 220 credits in order to meet SRVUSD graduation requirements.

  • There will be 20 fewer elective credits expected of graduating seniors.

  • Students can also choose to take 5, 6, or 7 classes assuming they have the credits they need to graduate high school on time.


How can my student receive credit for courses taken outside of SRVUSD?  What are the parameters?

  • Up to 40 credits from non-district courses can now be included on the official SRVUSD transcript.  These courses can be taken throughout the school year and can be used to fulfill any graduation requirement.  

  • It is the parent/student’s responsibility to ensure that the outside course is accepted by the UC/CSU system, private colleges and universities, out-of-state institutions, or NCAA as fulfilling entrance requirements. It is the student's responsibility to check with an admissions officer from each campus to which you intend to apply.

  • Courses taken through providers that are WASC-accredited as Supplementary Ed will not be accepted for credit. We cannot recommend any specific program and SRVUSD will not proctor outside exams.

  • Please see the Summer Learning Programs website for additional information:  Summer Learning Programs Page


Is it a requirement to put outside SRVUSD classes on the transcript?

No. The student can decide whether or not they want to put the class on their SRVUSD transcript.  HOWEVER, if a student is taking a graduation requirement (e.g. Algebra I) then that MUST go on the SRVUSD transcript.


If my student places a class on the SRVUSD transcript but later wants it removed, is this possible?

No. Once a class is on the SRVUSD transcript it cannot be removed.


What impact will the PLI’s have on advancement for middle school students?

  • Eighth grade students are welcome to start (and complete) a course for advancement in the spring; however, the course will not be put on the student’s high school transcript for credit unless they complete it after 8th grade promotion (a note will be made in the comments section of the transcript: “math course taken for advancement”, if applicable).

  • Students taking a high school graduation requirement such as Algebra I must choose to put this on their SRVUSD transcript.


What are my student’s options for summer school courses?

There are a wide variety of options for students to take classes in the summer:

  • SRVUSD High School Summer School (Free) ONLY students in SRVUSD are eligible to register and take the summer school courses.

  • DVC Summer School (Hosted by SRVUSD)

  • Outside SRVUSD Summer School Classes

  • For more information, see:


Are courses taken outside of SRVUSD weighted?

According to School Board Policy:

(1) Grades from non-district courses will be weighted if:

(a) The equivalent course is offered and weighted in SRVUSD or

(b) A comparable course is not offered and the course being taken is transferable to the UC and/or CSU systems for college credit.


How can my student qualify for Independent Study PE (ISPE)?

  • Students in grades 6-12 may qualify for ISPE if they participate in an individual sport and work with a certified coach who is not a parent.

  • The application, a list of the required criteria, and individual sports that may qualify a student for ISPE can be found on the Physical Education Page.


What else should I consider when deciding on whether or not to apply for Independent Study PE?

  • Students in grade 7 or 9 who take ISPE are required to complete the Fitnessgram Tests in the spring (per Ed Code) at their school site.

  • ISPE counts as one of the courses in a student’s schedule. It must be either the first or last period of the day.  Students should not be on campus during this time due to supervision issues.  

  • A high school student choosing to participate in ISPE must choose a 6 or 7 period day (including ISPE).

  • A middle school student choosing to participate in ISPE must choose a 7 period day (including ISPE).

  • The following is a list of individual sports that can qualify a student for ISPE:  Dance (e.g. ballet, tap, swing, hip-hop), Golf, Gymnastics, Ice skating, Swim, Tennis, Aerial Dance, Archery, Bicycle (e.g. BMX, racing, jumping, mountain), Boating, Bob-sledding, Boxing , Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Equestrian, Fencing, Martial Arts, Skiing/Snowboarding, Surfing, Running, Race Walking & Cross Country, Triathlete Training


How can my high school student receive credit for taking Heritage Language Classes?

  • In order to receive SRVUSD credit for a heritage language class, it must be taken through one of our approved institutions.  Check back frequently as more institutions may be added (Heritage Schools Page).

  • A student cannot get credit for a Heritage School language course that their home school offers (e.g. a student at DVHS cannot get credit for Chinese through a Heritage School since Chinese is already offered at DVHS).

  • Heritage School credits DO NOT count as part of the 40 non-District course credits that can go on the SRVUSD transcript


How can my student receive credit for internships?

  • Students now have two opportunities to receive credit for internships:

    • The IQuest course is offered at each of our comprehensive high schools.  This is a more structured environment and students are supported in finding internships.

    • Students can also receive SRVUSD credit for participating in internships that they find on their own.  These must be year-long internships.  There will be an application process and students must be approved to enroll in this course.  See the Internships Page for more information.

OPTION TO TAKE 6 OR 7 CLASSES (Middle School Only)

What impact does taking 6 or 7 classes at the middle school level have on my child?

  • Students can choose to take either 6 or 7 classes at the middle school level.

  • Students taking 6 classes will be assigned an unscheduled period at the beginning or end of the day.

  • If students choose to take 6 classes, they are choosing not to take one elective class.

  • Students must choose the 7 class option if they want to do Independent Study PE.

Non-Discrimination Statement

San Ramon Valley Unified School District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression; or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.

Report a Concern